Director of OperationsJob ID: 7227 Save Job
We have been retained by a global leader in home interior products and architectural solutions. For over 50 years, our client has been recognized for the highest quality and innovative solutions. Our client currently seeks a Director of Operations for their mid-size manufacturing start-up operation in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico. The Director of Operations will have the primary responsibility for leading their Monterrey, Mexico facility.
The Director of Operations will have the primary responsibility for leading their designated operation with a balanced approach to Safety, Quality, Service and Cost (SQDC) within a high product mix, make to order short lead-time business. The Director of Operations holds overall responsibility for the performance of the Shutter operations (both Fabrication and component manufacturing), including accountability for meeting budgetary and agreed upon corporate initiatives. The scope includes budgetary accountability, talent management, internal quality, production management, continuous improvement, supply management (materials and capacity management), maintenance, shipping and receiving for all operations. The role includes close collaboration with the product development and Divisional engineering.
The successful candidate will have both strategic and a ‘hands on’ orientation to achieve tangible operational results directly, and by influencing others. The successful candidate must have experience either managing or partnering with support functions such as Engineering, CI & Supply Chain. They will have built new teams with a focus around coaching and development. They will have lead cross functional teams through a change in process or culture, and can demonstrate the ability to facilitate groups in the journey of Lean Manufacturing. The successful candidate must be data driven, a problem solver, enthusiastic and tenacious with a ‘bias to action.’ The candidate will have experience building customer relationships and partnerships with all functional areas of the business.
Essential Duties and Job Responsibilities
- Establish a strategy for the components and shutter operations with the aim of developing a team capable of meeting the changing needs of the customer and meeting performance improvement expectations.
- Partners with CI & champions an adherence to standard work, including best practice sharing between sites and the execution of the Lean Management System.
- Anticipate issues, needs, and required actions pertaining to meeting customer needs and develop plans for addressing such opportunities.
Employee Engagement and Capability Building
- Build organizational capability through coaching, mentoring, and the training of staff in the appropriate areas of leadership and improvement methodologies.
- Leads their team in identifying opportunities for Kaizen events and Best Practice sharing opportunities that provide sustainable results.
- Ensure ongoing targeted projects and activities to support meeting annual goals and cost saving initiatives.
- Assume leadership role with associate relations, including morale, ongoing communications, and change management.
Planning & Performance Management
- Sets the metrics (SQDC) expectations of the operations in alignment with the corporate plan.
- Partners with Supply Chain, Brand Management and Engineering ensuring sufficient capacity to meet customer demand both in the short term and long term within acceptable levels of overtime.
- Leads their team in the review and analysis of production, quality control, maintenance, and operational reports to determine causes of nonconformity with product specifications and operating or production problems.
- Leads their team in the use of CI & Quality Improvement methodologies and tools (e.g., value stream mapping, Kaizen, Charters, 5S, Gemba walks, LMS, root cause problem solving, Six Sigma) in order to drive solutions that drive operational improvement in metrics (SQDC).
- Continuous monitoring of the designated performance related metrics and data to meet performance goals and guides the DO team for ongoing success and improvement in all metrics and goals.
- Support new product launches ensuring operational readiness to meet quality and service expectations.
- Leads their team in planning and implementing safety policies and training in compliance with company safety program and OHSA regulations to eliminate work-related injuries
Other duties as assigned.
- 10+ years of professional experience in a manufacturing environment in progressively responsible roles (experience in Assembly and also Fabrication and process driven manufacturing).
- 4+ years’ experience as a Plant Manager or Director of Operations or similar.
- 10+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment focused on use of Continuous Improvement tools and Quality improvement methodologies such as Lean, Six Sigma, TPS, Kaizen, 5-S/Visual Workplace.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in industry with high-volume, high complexity make-to-order manufacturing environment.
- Must have had experience in an industry where high-quality standards are present.
- Demonstrated history of successful change implementation and implementing of operational excellence improvements.
- Formal training and work experience in managing mid-to-large scale projects.
- Proven history of a successful leader and developer of people.
- Greenfield ‘start-up’ experience is highly preferred. Candidates with this experience will be give a strong preference.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or an Engineering discipline preferred.
- Master's or MBA a benefit.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Certified Six Sigma Black or Green belt preferred.
- Practical application experience and knowledge of Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma.
- Goal orientated; analytical and problem solver.
- Strong leadership skills (Inspire, Impact, Innovate and Communicate).
- Ability and passion to coach and train employees.
- Strong organization skills, including attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and prioritize projects.
- Interpersonal skills, with the ability to resolve conflict and reach agreement with others.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Advanced ability to analyze data, draw conclusions, and make recommendations.
- If not local to Monterrey, Mexico willingness to be relocated to Monterrey, Mexico.
- Foster and promote an environment of collaboration
- Complete commitment to Safety and regulatory compliance.
- Living the Company’s Mission and Core Values.
- Fluent in English and Spanish.
- VP Operations
- Other Director of Operations
- Plant Operations Team
- Finance Leaders
- HR Management
- Sales Team
- Customer Service
- Divisional Support (CI, Engineering, Supply Chain, Safety and plant associates)
- Company Brand/Supply Divisions
- Work is primarily sedentary in nature with frequent walking of manufacturing plant and warehouse distribution environment
- Work involves exposure to usual hazards found in manufacturing environment with lifting of heavy and bulky products on an occasional basis.
- The position may require 25% travel in North America.