Senior Director of OperationsJob ID: 7520 Save Job
Our client is a small Privately held novelty candy and baking goods company, designing, developing, manufacturing, importing and distributing novelty candy and gift products from all over the world to big box and discount retailers. We have been retained to find a Senior Director of Operations to lead operations for this small novelty candy and baking goods company through a high growth period.
This Senior Director of Operations directs and oversees the organization’s manufacturing processes, manufacturing engineering resources and all supply chain functions management including, but not limited to, purchasing, logistics, warehousing, inventory management, material forecasting, capacity planning and sourcing, master scheduling, inventory control and financial costing, as necessary for JIT materials. The role requires a leader that can develop detailed strategic plans to support manufacturing organizational growth plans and has the experience required to develop a well-balanced team that can support the future needs of the business. This position will also lead and direct all facets of supply chain support to the companies’ production centers. This position will provide leadership and direction on a cross functional basis.
THE SR. DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS IS BASED OUT OF ROSARITO, B.C. AND MUST BE ABLE TO TRAVEL TO SAN DIEGO, CA ON A WEEKLY BASIS. POSITION IS OPEN TO EITHER MEXICAN PAYROLL OR US PAYROLL (FOR VALID US WORK VISA HOLDERS).
The Senior Director of Operations reports to the Chief Executive Officer and serves as a member of the Executive Leadership Team and directs and oversees the Manufacturing Director for the Mexico site.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop detailed departmental operating budget and capacity planning reviews
• Creates and monitors production reports to ensure the organization is effectively delivering the departments financial, safety, quality, and on-time delivery commitments
• Strategically aligns the key management resources to support the assembly production teams and assigned support departments
• Promotes and leads succession planning efforts by providing developmental opportunities that will support the organizations future growth plan
• Provides strategic alignment for the key departmental resources to support the organizations new product introductions and product line extensions
• Supports the organizational Lean improvement efforts by creating a work environment that strives to eliminate waste, improve customer satisfaction, and increase market share via the use of Lean Six Sigma/Continuous Improvement methodologies
• Organizes, supports, and promotes effective communications across the entire organization by creating a shared vision for success
• Works closely with peers to create meaningful Standard Performance Indicators (KPIs) that will deliver our yearly operational plan and the planned process improvement initiatives
• Oversee and promote a safe working environment that complies with all Federal and State regulations
• Manages in a professional manner by effectively directing/coordinating departmental activities that are consistent with our organization’s established operational goals and policies
• Provide the leadership and guidance related to promotions, hiring activities, corrective action plans and overall performance related decisions
• Participates in the development of the organization’s policies, standard procedures and long-range strategic plans
• Ensures manufacturing employees are fully trained and are meeting our regulatory requirements
• Effectively communicate with sales and other key leaders regarding production status, problems, personnel difficulties, etc.
• Ensure the department follows applicable manufacturing and food regulations and standards
• Create and manage production and operating reports and resolve operational, manufacturing, and maintenance problems to ensure minimum costs and prevent operational delays
• Support and apply company policies and procedures in a consistent manner
• Direct the activities of all functions involved in the purchasing, planning, and warehousing and control of materials from the receipt of forecasting replenishment needs to the delivery of the finished product into finished goods inventory and delivery of products to customer(s).
• Effectively implements and maintains an automated ERP/MRPMRP II system (MS Dynamics – Business Central) that coordinates all aspects of demand planning and fulfillment
• Manage inventory and establishes controls to ensure the organization is operating at the highest level of performance based on key performance metrics and minimized supply chain risk
• Maintain compliance with all regulatory requirements and ethical standards related to procurement
• Develop and continuously improve supplier programs
• Participate in existing and new product planning processes to assure timely acquisition of materials to support product launches
• Participate in the design and implementation of new ERP system and optimize its use
• Lead negotiation efforts for major contracts
• Establishes annual goals and objectives, (including stretch targets) in coordination with corporate objectives, and manages performance to ensure attainment
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree required (graduate degree desirable). Advanced certifications are a plus
• A minimum of 15 years of senior leadership experience preferably in a regulated manufacturing environment and/or progressive experience in supply chain, purchasing and materials management roles. Ideal past experience as a Senior Director of Operations, Senior Director of Manufacturing, and/or Senior Director of Supply Chain. Will also consider a very hands-on General Manager in a small to mid-size company wearing multiple hats.
• Experience with supply chain, purchasing, materials management, and logistics
• Experienced with Mexico manufacturing is required
• Must be a strategic thinker with confidence and speed in execution
• Proven leadership skills in building and managing teams with a history of success
• Experience deploying lean initiatives and continuous improvement culture
• Ability to communicate with subordinates positively and effectively, support personnel and others across the organization
• Ability to critically think and be experienced in the use of problem solving and other six sigma tools
• Applied working knowledge (preferably implementation) of automated ERP/MRP/MRP II software systems for manufacturing environment. Familiar with MS Dynamics – Business Central a plus.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook, Project and Power Point and ability to function under a standard ERP system
• Prior experience managing large cross-functional project teams in complex manufacturing environments
• Excellent analytical and negotiation skills
• Excellent verbal/communications skills
• Fluent in English and Spanish required.
• Valid Visa. Sentri is highly desirable. Able to travel to San Diego on a weekly basis.