Operations ManagerJob ID: 7533 Save Job
Our client is a small food manufacturer based in San Diego, CA with sales to clients in wholesale, retailers and food service sector. They are currently undergoing high growth. In the last year it has doubled in size and is projected to do so again in the next 2 years. They recently moved into a new larger facility in Otay Mesa, California and as a result of high demand for their products they are seeking an Operations Manager to steer them as they continue to grow.
The Operations Manager will be responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of our food manufacturing company. Will work closely with the team to develop and implement strategies that improve operational efficiency and productivity, while maintaining the high standards of quality expected by our customers. This role will have direct supervision of Production, Sanitation, and Maintenance with indirect supervision of Warehouse and Quality Assurance. Must keep lean operations, optimize work schedules, personnel training, along with clean and safe facilities.
- Plan, organize, direct and run optimum day-to-day operations to exceed customers’ expectations.
- Hands-on supervision of daily department operations including: workflow scheduling; management of staff; monitoring production and quality; managing production processes; and all other activities required to ensure a quality product and on-time delivery.
- Develop and maintain operational procedures and production metrics for quality, production efficiency, delivery, and safety.
- Evaluate production schedules and labor requirements to provide work direction, effectively balance labor resources and provide feedback on planning.
- Increase production, assets allocation, capacity and flexibility while minimizing unnecessary costs.
- Collect and analyze data to find places of waste or overtime, by monitoring KPI’s to identify areas for improvement and implement solutions.
- Develop and implement staffing plans, through capacity and labor planning activities, including writing justifications for additional personnel.
- Develop and implement operational plans to attain strategic milestones to include processes, procedures, resources, and equipment.
- Provide direction, support, and coaching to production, sanitation and maintenance supervisors.
- Team up with other departments to coordinate activities and resolve production and operational issues on a timely basis.
- Implement methodology in alignment with strategic initiatives and provide a clear sense of direction and focus including product rollouts.
- Monitor operations and trigger corrective actions.
- Promote favorable working relationships with employees through open communication, visibility, and involvement to foster a positive working environment that maximizes safety, employee engagement, productivity, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Commit to plant safety procedures.
- Stay up to date with the latest production management best practices and concepts.
- Operations Manager with hands-on managerial experience.
- Excellent knowledge of business and management principles
- Familiarity with food industry standard equipment and technical expertise is preferred.
- Knowledge of safety, quality, productivity, demand creation, and inventory processes
- Ability to create accountability and to lead by example
- Problem solving skills and strong team building, decision-making skills
- Lead, promote and facilitate Continuous Improvement activities with production, sanitation and maintenance employees
- Drive the use of best manufacturing practices such as cost savings, waste elimination and employee performance.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- BA or BS preferably Engineering or Business Management
- At least 5 years and ideally 8 years in operations management in the food production industry.
- Strong leadership and management skills, with ability to motivate and inspire staff members.
- Must have a strong sense of urgency, be time driven and highly motivated.
- Strong professional experience in food assembly/packaging line principles and operation able to identify minimal waste processes.
- Knowledge of industry regulations and best practices and familiar with a culture of continuous improvement –always looking for ways to get better using problem solving tools to achieve change.
- Ability and desire to improve efficiency and increase capacity.
- Analytical thinker able to identify areas of improvement, present and implement solutions
- Results driven person, with the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment.
- Team Player that works well with others across all areas of the company.
- Ability to present recommendations and ideas and build consensus.
- Detail Oriented and focused closely on all details that play a part in the overall picture.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong math skills
- Computer literate and knowledge of production/shipping software a plus
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Bilingual English/Spanish