Director of OperationsJob ID: 7500 Save Job
Our client is a global leader in innovative solutions and products for home, work and school, and specific niche markets. They are top brand leader in its class. They are also a diversified packaging solutions provider with a large global footprint. They currently seek a Director of Operations to lead its large Tijuana manufacturing site in its next growth phase.
The Director of Operations directs and coordinates all material, manufacturing, and engineering operations so that approved products are produced on schedule and within quality standards and cost targets. This position entails ensuring that sound financial views are reflected in overall business decisions. The Operations Director is responsible for ongoing operations of the company’s nearly 500,000 sq/ft. manufacturing facility located in Tijuana, Mexico and for the management of 24-hours, six day per week, high-volume manufacturing operation with 1,500+ employees. Position reports to the Sr VP of Supply Chain and Operations.
Essential Job Functions
- Contributes to company’s success and growth through excellent facility financial performance by establishing performance measures for team members that improve effectiveness in the areas of cost, safety, customer service, quality, and productivity measures.
- Participates with the VP of Supply Chain and Operations in the development of an overall manufacturing strategy to assure that the plant and company stays effective and competitive as the market evolves and changes.
- Directs his subordinates in the management of assigned areas to ensure that objectives and operations are achieved satisfactorily, and that performance is consistently met with established policies and programs.
- Defines and recommends all the objectives of the plant.
- Develops specific short and long-term plans and programs that are aligned with overall business strategies, along with supporting budget requests.
- Develops the management talents necessary to achieve company goals through effective management, coaching, and training in accordance with an overall workforce plan.
- Approves or recommends approval of the organization structure and staffing requirements.
- Provides leadership in establishing and maintaining employee relationships that will help attract and achieve a desirable productive workforce, as well as support activities designed to achieve a high level of employee morale.
- Manages the interpretation and application of established personnel policies and procedures.
- Provides consultation, advice, and interpretation of personnel policies and procedures to all employees throughout the manufacturing unit.
- Monitors the company’s compliance with applicable laws and other federal, state, and local regulatory agencies.
- Analyze and evaluate, on a regular and systematic basis, the effectiveness of all operations to ensure compliance with established objectives, compliance with company policies, and prompt corrective action when necessary.
- Maintains the necessary communication and coordination with the Sr Vice President of Supply Chain and Operations.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a Director of Operations, Director of Manufacturing, or Plant Manager or similar in a large high volume manufacturing environment in Mexico.
- Experience in managing a maquiladora manufacturing operation; US/Mexico border experience preferred.
- Must have a strong knowledge of LEAN manufacturing and continuous improvement methodologies. .
- Familiarity of Mexico government relations, labor laws and compliance.
- Demonstrated ability and record of customer focused results achievement and leadership of operational best practices implementation.
- Ability to manage and lead large organizations effectively in a participative, principle and team-based environment.
- Experience leading or participating in cultural transformation process.
- Must be goal oriented, pro-active problem solver, who is well organized, and has a strong sense of urgency.
- Possesses a fine mix of both tactical (hands-on) and strategic thinking.
- Must possess good organization skills, and team building / team development skills.
- Ability to communicate / work effectively across plant locations and multiple functional boundaries.
- Ability to create and articulate a clear business vision to the plant organization and bring a passion for achievement.
- Must have good technology and operating process orientation; ability to think and operate strategically yet manage short term operating accountabilities with hands on manufacturing approach.
- BS in Engineering or related discipline and MBA a plus
- Fluent in English (90%+) and Spanish