Director of OperationsJob ID: 7868 Save Job
We have been retained by a global medical device design and manufacturing services provider that partners and innovates with customers to provide the highest quality, life enhancing medical devices. Our client does this through depth and breadth of capabilities, end-to-end integration, technical expertise, and relentless focus on its customers and on operational excellence. Our client currently has nearly 6,000 associates across 24 locations worldwide and they continue to grow their global footprint.
The Director of Operations will be responsible for the Tijuana, Mexico manufacturing site and significant departmental level leadership responsibility for materials management, manufacturing, manufacturing engineering and administrative functions in a fast moving, automated manufacturing environment. The Director of Operations will have accountability for the profit and loss of the location and will provide support for generating new business in addition to manufacturing existing products. This is a key customer facing role with large OEM world-class clients.
Our client’s vision is to focus on enhancing the customer experience by building true business partnerships and their business through, Teamwork, Being Agile, having Personal Integrity, Owning It and Recognizing the Success of others because Together We Are in It for Life.
The Director of Operations will lead safety, environmental compliance, quality, cost, delivery, and responsiveness manufacturing engineering, NPI quick turns, product introductions, automation, and continuous improvement performance of the Tijuana, Mexico facilities that they manage and will be responsible for the development of facility leadership team. In addition, they will work in close partnership with the site HR Leader to ensure a high engagement and performance culture ensuring the required management tools are in place to support same.
- Responsible for the overall Profit and Loss, and accountable for achieving EBITDA growth targets and maximum return on invested capital. Create a long-term vision for the Tijuana site and strive to achieve that vision in the medium to longer term.
- Lead and coordinate Manufacturing Engineering, Manufacturing, Facilities, Continuous Improvement, HR, Planning, and New Product Introduction functions to continuously improve year over year Quality performance metrics. This will be done in coordination with the Quality function by having dotted line responsibility for the Quality personnel.
- Lead the Continuous Improvement culture and training for the location including methods & tools, behaviors, and problem solving consistent with the LEAN principles established by the company. Create and lead a culture of continuous improvement, installing and successfully executing advanced visual, flow manufacturing systems, structured problem-solving, world-class maintenance systems, standard work, roll out of behavioral standards, etc. This includes actively seeking best practice across all company sites.
- Create strategies for all operational functions including supply chain, manufacturing engineering, NPI, continuous improvement, automation, and HR, to deliver world class products and services now and into a growingly competitive future and ensure continuous performance of the site.
- Lead the New Product Introduction function for the site including business, technical, and business process oversight. This critical role requires coordination of business risk, technical uncertainty, and customer communication in partnership with the sale team in a way what minimizes time to profit and minimizes disruption to the existing business.
- Develop annual financial plans with the site Controller to support continuous growth and cost improvements. Provide Monthly Operational performance summaries inclusive of a 4-month rolling financial forecast to achieve EBITDA performance to changing revenues and product mix. This includes developing justifications and plans for investments in training, staffing, and capital equipment.
- Support Customer Solutions activities within the facility including quoting and customer service.
- Recommends and executes personnel actions including hiring, promotions, performance reviews and any disciplinary measures.
- Complies with all work rules including those pertaining to safety, health, environmental compliance quality, and Quality Management System.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Relevant undergraduate degree and appropriate continuing education or equivalent experience; MBA or advanced degree preferred but not required.
- Prior successful experience in a highly regulated manufacturing environment as a Director of Operations, Director of Manufacturing or a Plant Manager or similar. The ideal candidate will have experience with medical devices, managing a mid-size plant, familiar with Mexico, contract manufacturing, customer interface experience and familiarity with pricing.
- Successful experience growing a business.
- Demonstrated P&L management experience and excellent business acumen in a technically driven environment.
- Knowledge of complex manufacturing to include solid experience with plastic injection molding and product assembly.
- Working knowledge of capacity planning and supply chain management.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex manufacturing technologies and develop financial plans to make technology investments (CAPEX) return positive financial returns.
- Ability to interface with customers, build collaborative relationships, problem solve and drive solutions to meet customer requirements.
- Knowledge of FDA Good Manufacturing Practices, ISO 13485-2003, 510k and medical regulatory issues.
- Lean Manufacturing and have a passion for relentless continuous process improvement.
- Demonstrated leadership and team building skills with track record of selecting and managing top talent and fostering a positive culture for all manufacturing associates.
- Strong communicator: written and verbal (one-on-one and group).
- Strategic thinker: responsible for developing the plan; ability to conceptualize coherent view of facility in the future (6 months, one year, two years, five years).
- Ability to analyze, understand and effectively communicate deep technical material.
- Fluency in Spanish and English.