The main purpose of the resume is to secure an interview. Today, many companies use applicant tracking software and web-based systems to process the high number of resumes received for available jobs.
This means that resumes must be elaborated in an acceptable format for rapid computer processing. These electronic processing systems look for keywords to match open positions.
So, please submit a resume that will pass electronic matching systems. The following are tips for an acceptable resume format:
- Do put your first name and last name on the first line; address on second line; city, state, country, and zip code on third line; phone on fourth line; and email on fifth line.
- Do use an Arial or Times New Roman font, and 11 or 12 point type for your text.
- Do use spacing after commas, periods, words, and punctuation.
- Do remember to use all relevant keywords which describe your work experience, skills, and qualifications.
- Do limit resume to two pages maximum, and include your name on both.
- Do have your resume proofread for correct grammar and spelling. Incorrect spelling will reduce your resume’s electronic processing efficiency and may keep it from being considered.
- Do prepare to verify all claims made.
- Do submit your resume in MS-Word format only.
- Do submit your resume in English only.
- Do submit resume on-line if available. Mailing or Faxing are not as efficient.
- Don’t use script, underline, brackets, slashes, parenthesis, accents or any other special characters.
- Don’t include personal information such as birth date, health, passport number, etc.
- Don’t include your photo or other graphics.
- Don’t exaggerate or sell yourself short.
- Don’t include very old or irrelevant experience.
To submit your resume, please go to Submit Resume.
To view a sample resume, please click here.
About Barbachano International
Barbachano International (BIP) is the premier executive search and leadership advisory firm in the Americas (USA, Mexico, Latin America, & Canada) with a focus on diversity and multicultural target markets. Outplacement and Executive Coaching services are provided by our sister allied company Challenger Gray & Christmas. Since 1992, BIP and its affiliates have impacted the profitability of over 50% of Fortune 500 Companies. BIP has been recognized by Forbes as Americas’ Best Executive Search Firms and currently ranks #27 and #3 on the West Coast. Headquartered in San Diego, California with satellite offices in Florida and Mexico. As member-owners of NPAworldwide Recruitment Network, we are supported by partner offices in over 50 countries.